Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Back to the Drawing Board - June's Blocks

Here are June's blocks - and this Basket Weave block was my favourite one otn so far and also in also in finished appearance. It looked bigger than either of May's blocks otn, but I carried on anyway till it measured 11.5 inches.

I am going to be very honest here and say I do not like this Lucky Bamboo block - it HAS been blocked; I had been hoping it's appearance would improve post-blocking but it hasn't.

And now to my dilemma. My June blocks have not shrunk post blocking like my May ones did. The Basket Weave one is huge and completety out of proportion to all my other blocks. I have no idea what I have done wrong, but I am going to have to frog both of June's blocks and start again. No problem, I just want them "right" - but I did want to share them with you. Oh, and the yarn by the side of Lucky Bamboo is all I have left from knitting both blocks.

Any constructive tips/comments would be very welcome, both June blocks were blocked simoultaneously in the same way using the same method as may's blocks. The Lucky Bamboo block paradoxically, the one I really don't like, is the only blocked square I have that actually measures at 12" x 12"!


Please don't misunderstand this post - I'm not complaining, I'm perplexed, and any help would be very gratefully received.

2 comments:

Debby said...

I am going to send a Revised Basket of Yarn pattern to everyone in an email. If your basket knitted up large then I suggest you frog it and use the revised pattern for a smaller basket. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused and will do what I can to correct the problem some of you may be having.

Joy said...

Thank you for the email - much appreciated as I was going to tinker with the pattern myself.

My 2 May blocks are around 11 1/2" x 11 1/2", the bamboo one is 12" x 12", I worked the pattern exactly as stated, but hey, we can't all like the same thing :-)

I did want to post my blocks, warts and all, because I really wanted some help and advice, and was hoping some of the other Club members may have helpful ideas.

I really appreciate your help so far, and am looking forward to July's parcel.

And I think it's good for us knitters to acknowledge that although things don't always go well, there is almost always a solution.